Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Seymour Lathrop (1839 - 1864)

Seymour Lathrop (1839 - 1864),  the son of  Orvil LATHROP of Pittsfield, Washtenaw, Michigan. Seymour was born in 1839 in Michigan and 
died in December 24,1864.

The only information I had of Seymour was his birth and death year that was on a handwritten and hand drawn family chart. My gr- grandfather didn't know the connection to the family.

I began with the 1850 Federal census and I found Seymour with his family. He was listed as Taymor and as a female.

 I looked and looked for Seymour in the 1860 Federal census and couldn't find him anywhere. One day I searched Google for Ann Arbor city directories and found an entry for Seymour Lathrop. He was a blacksmith at Lawson & Wurster and residing at the Cook's hotel. I started a new search for him by looking up the Cook's Hotel in the city directory to find the owners name. Back I went to the 1860 census to look for Mr. Cook and found that he lived on the hotel site. I scrolled through the names and occupations and found  Seymour, actually he used a different name but all the information, the age, state born, and occupation were compatible.

In the 1860 US Federal Census Ann Arbor, Washtenaw, MI census, Seymour LATHROP was found as a boarder at Cook's Hotel. Seymour was a blacksmith at Lawson & Wurster.






I found in the civil war archive that in 1861 he enlisted in the civil war with the 1st Regiment, Michigan Infantry (3 months, 1861)

"Organized at Fort Wayne, Detroit, Mich., and mustered into United States service May 1, 1861 (the only three-months Regiment from Michigan). Left State for Washington, D.C., May 13. Occupation of Arlington Heights, Va., May 24. Attached to Willcox's Brigade, Heintzelman's Division, McDowell's Army of Northeast Virginia. Duty in the Defences of Washington, D.C., till July 16. Action at Arlington Mills June 1 (Co. "E"). Advance on Manassas, Va., July 16-21. Battle of Bull Run July 21. Mustered out August 7, 1861."

I checked for any pension applications. None were found. That tells me Seymour probably didn't marry or have issue.

No death record has been found for Seymour.

Seymour is buried in the HENNING Family Plot in Ann Arbor, MI.


    (source)

No comments:

Post a Comment